Monday, November 19, 2007

What I have learned from this class...

I have learned a lot as a result of this class. There have been many
areas that we have discussed and researched that I have found
interesting. I am not sure if the opportunity to work in a supervisory
role will present itself to me in the future, but whatever the case may
be, I am leaving this class knowing more than I started out with and
that is the most important goal.

One of the areas that standsout in my mind comes from the reading that we did from Thomas Friedman’s, The World is Flat. I thought that there were many good ideas in this reading that I would like to apply in my classroom. I especially liked the ideas that had to do with good teachers being those who made learning fun and who instilled a feeling of being valued in their students. He describes it as teaching others to “learn how to learn.” I liked the ideas of G. Wayne Clough , president of Georgia Tech, who put an emphasis on not only intelligence, but also on individuals who brought other interests along with them noting them as more adaptable individuals. It makes a lot of sense that students should be exposed to all different types of learning experiences in order to bring some of these experiences into the rest of their lives.

In addition to these ideas, I also enjoyed reading Daniel Pink’s writings about “Symphony.” I am finding that as time is passing by in my life, I am becoming more methodical in the way that I approach things, just because it is what I am used to. The idea of continuing to develop the creative right hemisphere of my brain and to see things “out of the box” is something that is interesting to me as well as something that I think would be of value to my students.

The different ways that we used technology in this classroom is another area that I found very valuable. I was forced to do things on the computer that I had never done before and may not have motivated myself to do without this experience. I have more desire to research ways to incorporate technology into my classroom and I see the value in making it a priority to a district. This was especially interesting to me.

I have enjoyed being a part of this class and I really do feel like it
will benefit me in my own classroom. I am happy that I have continued
on with my education, if for nothing else than the value of learning
some new things to help me to grow as a teacher.

2 comments:

Prof. Bachenheimer said...

Good reflection. Now the key is to make an internal action plan so you can accomplish some of these goals that you have set!

Tavarez said...

As you mentioned, although, the technology component was challenging, it was also very beneficial. I was particularly taken by the movie we created. I started to use it with my students and they love it.