Monday, November 26, 2007

Review of "Standards" Website

It is always interesting to visit this website. I especially like the
quote at the beginning of the site which states that "A high level of
shared education is essential to a free, democratic society and to the
fostering of a common culture." There are so many good things about
this website and then there are a number of areas that leave room for
improvement. I think that it is nice that members of the community can
get on this website to actually see what is expected for their children
to master. So often I hear comments like "I never had to do this kind
of thing in second grade." It is nice that parents and other family
members can visit the site and see that we aren't really crazy and that
students really do need to know this stuff.

I do wish that the site offered more suggestions as to how some of these skills can be taught to better achieve success. I always like to look in idea books and visit websites that offer some new ways to teach skills. It would be nice if this website
also offered some of these ideas to teachers. I think that is is good
that NJ has a set of standards that teachers are expected to follow. It
gives us a good framework. I only wish for a little more support
sometimes from those outside of the schools that are in positions of
influence.

No comments: