Sunday, October 21, 2007

Reflection on On-Line Learning

I have to be honest, on-line courses are a challenge for me. I did not have to do any of this kind of thing until I began my program in supervision last fall. I hate to say it, but as an undergraduate we stood “on-line” ( I mean a real line...) just to register for classes. Not even that was computerized yet. As a graduate student we had progressed to the telephone line for class registration. So, needless to say, when I began my courses for a supervisor’s certificate I was slightly lost when it came to using Blackboard, Blogs, etc...

In addition to this, I am not using the most advanced technology at home. Again, I would not want to shout this from the rooftops, but I am still using dial up internet. As a result of all of this, I have had to jump through some hoops to complete parts of the on-line work. Now, as I look back on what I have learned I can say that I really learned a lot from the challenge of this. If you asked me this on Columbus Day when I spent my day off bouncing back and forth from the town library computers and bugging my family and friends about a movie I had to make, you may have received a different answer. I realize how important it is to keep up with technology. I would really enjoy being able to incorporate more of it into my classroom. This has given me a bit more confidence to do so.

For the future, it might be a good idea to do some quick mini training sessions in class on the skills that are needed for the on-line classes. This would be helpful to those students who are technically challenged, such as myself :)

1 comment:

lizette said...

There is nothing better than getting through the challenges and learning from it. Be proud of yourself. If you were a quitter, you would have had someone do it for you just for the sake of the class. Imagine how your students feel when the light bulb goes off. Now you can relate more to that because of your advancements in technology.
I believe that we all need a little "intro" before we do things. I, myself have never done a blog before. This class has really helped me and now I know of many more things that I am going to add on my comps next week:-