Sunday, October 21, 2007

My Lesson--Telling Time Grade 2

Stage One- Desired Results

Goals: Student will be able to tell time to the hour, 1/2 hour and minute.
CCCS: 4.2.D.1 Directly compare and order objects according to measurable attributes.
4.2.D.3 Select and use appropriate standard and nonstandard units of measure and standard measurement tools to solve real-life problems.

Understandings: Students will understand :
* that there are different types of clocks on which to tell time.
* that the hands on a clock have different functions.
* that there are different ways to name times on a clock.
* how to count on by minutes and 5 minutes to tell time.

Essential Questions:
* Why do people use measurement?
* What is order?
* What is sequence?
* Why do we need to tell time?
* What would be hard to do without this skill?

Stage Two: Assessment Evidence:
Performance Tasks:
* Work with a partner and mini clocks. Be able to tell appropriate times.
* Play a time matching game and be able to match digital and analog times.
* Indicate appropriate times on large, felt floor clock.

Other Evidence:
* math practice book pages
* chapter review
* chapter test

Stage Three: Learning Plan
*pre-assessment to find out previous knowledge on telling time.
*show specific times on mini-demonstrate how to tell different units of
time.
*play “Telling Time” Bingo.
*play a time matching game.
*make a Time Journal indicating correct times for doing certain tasks.
*use giant, felt floor clock as kinesthetic practice with telling time.

6 comments:

Prof. Bachenheimer said...

Nice job. Your"essential questions" are wellforumulated and you have various ways of ongoing and final assessemnt.

lizette said...

Dana, your lesson was great. I couldn't help remembering that when I was doing my student teaching my professor came in to observe. I was so nervous that I told the kids that I read the clock wrong...
The students in your class will never forget how to do the time frames of a clock.

Kristin E. Robinson said...

Dana, that sounds like a great lesson. Telling time is very difficult for children. They need as much practice as possible. Plus, whenever you can incorporate a game into a lesson it is always a good thing. When games are being played the children don't even realize that they are learning.

KARA said...

I really enjoyed your lesson. Great activities that would catch a child's interest. I remember having a very difficult time learning how to use a clock.

Rich Sackerman said...

Your essential questions are right on. I remember the difficulty that I had learning the lesson of time. I was wondering, how do you amend the lesson for the students who still don't quite get it after the completion of the lesson?

Tom Montuori said...

I think it is really impressive how you lay out the lesson goals and objectives. As a high school teacher it is difficult to comprehend how to lay out objectives for a class of 2nd graders. With respect to time, a 2nd grader is obviously going to just learn how to read different kinds of clocks. I immediately feel myself pulling towards grander questions that require thinking skills that young children simply do not possess. On the high school level, we operate with students that have these skills built in to them already. My conception of lesson planning would need some major refinement if I would ever dare to teach the lower grades.